Thursday, March 3, 2016

Cress by Marissa Meyer | Book Review

The Lunar Chronicles #3
First Published: 2014
Hardcover
YA, Sci-Fi
Rating:
Even in the future. there are damsels in distress...
In the third installment of the Lunar chronicles, Cress, having risked everything to warn Cinder of Queen Levana's evil plan, has a slight problem. She's been imprisoned on a satellite since childhood and has only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress a great hacker. Unfortunately, she's just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue of Cress involving Cinder, Captain Thorne, Scarlet, and Wolf goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes as a high price. Meanwhile, Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has.
Cress had the very unfortunate luck of being one of the books I got stuck on in my February book slump. It was no fault of the book, really, because it's great. I was just not feeling reading at all, so it took me ten days to read it. That's a long time, for me.

Cress starts with it's namesake, floating around space on a satellite. Finally, we get to see things from this character's perspective, which we've been teased with since book one. And guess what? She is adorable.
She pretends she's a character in a movie when she needs to hold on to hope or do something that scares her. She fantasizes about people she doesn't know and what could be (#RealFangirl). She is sweet, brave and I just loved her!

And Thorne and Cress together? OTP all the way - they had me constantly smiling and grinning the whole read. Y'all know I love Thorne. He's one of the best parts about Scarlet. And in Cress? He really gets to shine. Big chunks of this story are about this devil-may-care, carefree rouge showing his true colors - that of a really loyal, really caring, and kind of self deprecating person.

And there's no one better to show Thorne his better parts and make him the hero he should be than Cress, who's been half-way in love with him from before they ever met, and all the way in love with him by the end of this novel, because of his many faults instead of despite them #GOALS
Now, Cress has the most POVs and plot-lines to date in the series - we had Cress, the occasional Thorne, Cinder, Kai, Scarlet, the Doc, Mira... That's a lot. And while I can definitely say it's incredibly well done and weaves together seamlessly, it was also the drawback of this book to me.

The thing is, at every given time there was one POV I was interested in above the rest (and it wasn't always the same pov). And while all the POVs were interesting, every pov that wasn't the one-I-was-most-invested-at-in-the-moment dragged. I wanted it to be over quickly so I could finally return to the story-line I wanted. Those were the moments I put the book down, and coming back to it was difficult (re: February book slump)

Now. I gotta mention The best part of this novel by a landslide... Iko! This android needs her own talk show. Shine, my bright star, shine!

P.S - Wolf. My sweet child. Let me hug you. You're killing me here!

Cannot wait to Winter! We got a slight taste of Winter in this novel, and I for one want more!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment