Thursday, June 9, 2016

New Moon by Stephenie Meyer | Book Review

SPOILER // SPOILER // SPOILER // SPOILER // SPOILER // SPOILER 
First Published: 2006
Paperback
Young Adult, Fantasy
Rating:
I knew we were both in mortal danger. Still, in that instant, I felt well. Whole. I could feel my heart racing in my chest, the blood pulsing hot and fast through my veins again. My lungs filled deep with the sweet scent that came off his skin. It was like there had never been any hole in my chest. I was perfect - not healed, but as if there had never been a wound in the first place.

THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS. TRIED TO WRITE IT WITHOUT IT BUT IT JUST DIDN'T WORK

I've previously mentioned the Twilight Saga is one of my favorite series, so this rating might come as a shock. To be completely honest, I really enjoyed New Moon the first... three times I read it or so. It wasn't until I was more versed with reading that all the issues I had with it sprang at me all of the sudden.

And once I realized all those things, I couldn't unknow it.

Because in terms of plot, this book would now make me throw it against the wall in a raging fit. Like, I'll be the first to protect the Twilight Saga - I still proudly admit to loving it, even when people scoff at me. But this book... This book...

New Moon made me hate characters that I absolutely loved in Twilight.

The first of which? They name is Bella Swan. Oh Bella, how have thee fallen! I couldn't stand your behavior in this book, at all. I thought of you as a smart, courageous, active character, but in this book you threw it all away in order to become pathetic and passive.

The sum of Bella's (in)action in this installment: moping around, finding no point in life, worrying everyone in her life, forgetting all her friends, and the only times she makes decisions are based on the off chance Edward will come back. Yikes, I was shouting at her the whole time!

And when this start to dissipate? When Jacob, another male, enters the picture. Without him, she'll still be a living corpse. I wanted her to show some strength and pull out of it on her own, if only to prove to girls out there that while having a boyfriend is nice and dandy, it does not define who you are, and you are not left with nothing without him because you always have you.

Then there's Edward. Eddy, Eddy, Eddy... can I call you Eddy? When did you become so stupid? THAT'S your solution to things? Running away is one thing, but did you have to leave her in a freakin' forest on her own?? Not to mention the whole suicide deal was just face palm all around.
It felt to me like this whole book was Bella and Edward competing in the Worst Reaction to a Breakup tournament. And this is possibly the first time in history the judges will be compelled to award a couple the title.

And then there was Jacob. Jackie boy, get the hint. Bella is emotionally taken. Bella is saying NO. Back off, because this highhanded manner is just ruining all your future chances with her and the fandom. You were cute in the first book, but you're coming off way too forceful in this one. Lay off. 

So that leaves me with liking.... um... er... no one? oops. 

If this book was more than just its characters, and had an overall plot to focus on aside for the characters' general mopiness and lack of interest in life, maybe I could continue to love it with a clear heart. But it doesn't so I am forced to face the truth that this book just might not be good at all.

Even though I love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment