Thursday, February 4, 2016

Book Review: Seduce me at Sunrise by Lisa Kleypas

First Published: 2008
Kindle Bundle
Adult, Historical Romance
Rating: 
He has tried hard to forget her.
Kev Merripen has longed for the beautiful, well-bred Winnifred Hathaway ever since her family rescued him from the brink of death when he was just a boy. But this handsome Gypsy is a man of mysterious origins—and he fears that the darkness of his past could crush delicate, luminous Win. So Kev refuses to submit to temptation…and before long Win is torn from him by a devastating twist of fate.
Can she remember the man he once was?
Then, Win returns to England…only to find that Kev has hardened into a man who will deny love at all costs. Meantime, an attractive, seductive suitor has set his sights on Win. It’s now or never for Kev to make his move. But first, he must confront a dangerous secret about his destiny—or risk losing the only woman he has lived for…
This book frustrated and delighted me in equal measures, earning it a 3.5 star rating from me. If it frustrated me a little less, it would've been a four star for sure.

Frustrated for the singular reason of Kev, who would not face his feelings. He would rather play with Win as he wants her one moment then regret it the next, would rather watch her marry another man, than consider the possibility of the two of them together because she is "too good for him".

Pshaw. Let the woman decide that for herself, you rattlebrain. I mean, I love you, you are deliciously brooding, but end this back and forth before I'm tempted to throw something at you. Stop stringing her along (and yourself) with kisses. Just as Win keeps telling him.

Which brings us to our first delight - Win herself. Win is a wholesome, fragile young girl who knows exactly what she wants, even if it won't be easy to get. And that's Kev. Wonderfully opinionated and determined, unafraid where Kev is frightened, she will bring him down with the force of her love alone and god help them all. So, basically, she was a great main character.

Another reason to be delighted? The continuation (and maybe conclusion) of Kev & Cam's search of their background, as well as additional insights into Cam's head.

Most of these type of series never return into the mind of past couples, opting instead to feature them in each other's story but look at it through different eyes. Kleypas veers from that path as she lets us peek into Cam's head often throughout this story as well. And as I love Cam... I consider this a great plus.

Speaking of their background... I loved it (and suspected it), but at the same time, I felt like they tied things a little too quickly at the end there. It would've been better if it carried on to the third book, or if parts of it have been revealed sooner so it didn't feel like everything just happened at once due to a stroke of luck.

In general, a great installment in the series, and it sets up yet another future couple that ought to be so fun to explore! 

4 comments:

  1. I love Lisa Kleypas and I LOOOVE this series. I may or may not have re-read these books like 10 times since I first read them. :D
    I completely understand your frustration with Kev because as loveable as the boy was, he was so bullheaded and I was annoyed by how he unintentionally kept hurting Win. But man, when they got together finally? I had hearts in my eyes and couldn't stop swooning!
    Win and the family were my favorite parts of the book too. I'm glad this was satisfying for you, Nitzan! :)
    Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been told so many times that I just *had* to read her books but this series was my first attempt and let's just say I'm definitely going to try and read alllll her books haha
      Oh, I was a big fan of Kev and you're right, once he FINALLY decided to stop being an idiot it was beyond swoon.
      Thank you <3

      Delete
  2. I've not started this series, but it's on my TBR. Since I'm getting back into my HR groove, it may be sooner than later. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Lekeisha!
      I definitely think this series is a great place to start & regain your HR groove!

      Delete